Recently my friend and blogging buddy, Denyse, was having troubles with styling and setting up the area above her kitchen cabinets in her new house and I thought it was so ironic that I just found this slide-show on Houzz featuring:
Now I know that these are just "tips" or "suggestions" but who knew that there were so many things to consider when styling your bookcases/shelves. Whenever I set up my bookcases...I don't think about anything...I just set the stuff up and stand back and see if it appeals to me ;}
Let's see if I pass the muster...
1. Consider your shelf setup: well...this was really NOT an option for us here at the Love Shack...since space is a premium and I placed every single bookshelf in here that I could...we are wall-to-wall bookcases and we lovingly call it The Library!
2. Add height with artwork: my books are my artwork ;)
3. Place similar objects in opposing spaces: again...my books being the similar objects...I did try to balance them out as much as possible.
4. Vary the direction of the books: when we downsized to the Love Shack...I had to purge alot of my beloved books ;} We just did not have the space for all of them as well as many of the accessories that I had collected over the years...it all had to go and so what was left had to fit on my shelves, anyway possible, to make sure that I could fit all that I was able to keep.
5. Create balance through color: I believe the colors of my books create this balance and the ambience for our Library.
6. Create balance through a chosen theme of colors: does black count? Our chosen theme of color would be all the black wood furniture...my favorite. Alot of people wouldn't put big black pieces of furniture in a small space...but we love how cozy it makes our home feel and I'm NOT a believer in small pieces in small spaces...I think it just magnifies the small space.
7. Intersperse short items with tall items: all of my tall items have had to go on top of the bookcases.
8. Mirror the shelves but don’t mirror the contents: sorry...not an option...lol
9. Leave spaces empty: again...not an option. However...I have added lights to the tops of my bookcases and they offer great highlights for the bookshelves and make these spaces appear larger.
10. Add color to select areas of your bookshelf: again...my books offer all the color that I need ;)
11. Include glass: my glass accents are set up in front of my bookcases on our Library table.
All in all...these tips can be very helpful and they are great to keep in mind when you do have areas that need "styling" but also remember that...they are suggestions and not rules. For those of you who know me well...you all know that I believe that rules are made to be broken ;)
How about you...what rules are you breaking? Do share!