Today's challenge word art provided by Rhonna was "conquer"...and boy did this journal entry almost did conquer me! But then I went back to Rhonna post and re-read the quote:
"Energy and persistence, conquer all things." - Benjamin Franklin
I also needed to "let go" of my expected outcome and my "inspiration" picture was actually becoming my nemesis. So the next day I came back and painted over my mud...but I have to tell you...it was really nice "sculpted" mud...had lots of texture to it and that was working for me. so
So I just started picking up the paint with a spatula and swiping it across my pages. I then added some acrylic medium to "extend" the drying time and to help the "blending" of the still well acrylics so that I would not end up with mud again. Once I was happy with my new "abstract" backgrounds...I walked away once again...so that I would not over-work it and let my paints dry. While I was waiting, I practiced sketching shapes per my new "Gut Art" class with Mystele. This whole process of finding "shapes" in things was really helpful and so when I came back to my backgrounds...I was able to "pull" some "characters" out of my backgrounds...cool beans...
So I was able to "see" a woman with a colorful scarf or turban on her head on one page and for the other I saw a little girl with a winter scarf and hat wrapped around her and a big coat and mittens. First, I sketched the basic shapes with pencil and because my surface was so "textured" I grabbed a black marker and just "let go" and continued to sketch out the shapes I was seeing. I didn't want to "finish" the sketches and make "formal" portraits...I like the striking background colors and knew that I was going to journal in black marker over the open areas...so I kept it simple and "abstract". Here's a photo of the two finished pages with the journaling:
To finish up the pages I added charcoal pencil and rubbed to blend in the edges and shadows around the characters. I used Rhonna's word art and made transfers and added them to the pages along with the Dymo label for "Day 18". Here's a close-up of the left hand side: