The challenge word for today was "Action" and I took alot of "personal" and "creative" action and got a lot of "satisfaction"...sounds like a Rolling-stones song...lol I'll stop there because I cannot sing...not even in the shower...I am so tone deaf. Reminds me of Oprah and Gail when they went on their "Road Trip" one summer and Gail had to have the radio on when she was driving...okay...but then...she had to "sing along"...and as Oprah demonstrated...Gail can't sing...BUT WORSE...she doesn't have a clue that she can't sing...that was so funny! Okay...I'm tired...I digress...
After going shopping and finding my "purple dress" I knew what I wanted to do in my art journal. Underneath my desk glass you can see some of my "inspiration" for this challenge. First I had to "prep" my pages with a coat of Gesso and then I covered the entire two pages in Black Paint.
Some time ago I saw a "paint-over" technique in Stampington's "Workshop" magazine where you paint-over your own photo images and to make collage art canvases. This is a great technique if you are afraid to draw or sketch people on your own...I dug through my magazine and found the article and knew this would be great for demonstrating wedding and bridesmaid gowns.
The above photo shows you the original magazine photo that I reduced and copied to fit my journal page. The base coat for both pages is black and then white titanium and ivory paint was dry-brushed with wide, random strokes to cover the black paint...leaving the black edges exposed.
The above photo shows the instructions that I'm following for the paint-over technique. While the white paint is still wet...words, numbers and symbols were etched into the finish. I carved Cortney's name, date of the wedding and numerology symbols randomly on the two pages. Next, washes of color...I used my favorite Lumiere fabric paints for this step...in purple and green (Cortney's wedding colors) were again randomly stroked over the two pages.
While the journal pages were drying, I painted-over the photocopies, first with the lumiere paint in a yellow wash, then purple for the bridesmaid dress. Before the paints dry...dip your brush into white paint and dry brush white "high-lights" where the dress will naturally, "pouf" (is that a word...lol...how about "billow") and then dip your brush back into your base color (purple here) and "deepen" the areas where there are darts and pleats, etc. This is the best way I know how to explain high-lights and low-lights on flat surfaces.
For the wedding dress...I dry brushed more white and then sweeps of purple and green around the hem and veil area. I didn't put much detail because I don't want to give-away the dress to Cortney's fiance...cause he hasn't seen the actual dress yet...shhh...it's a secret!
Next details were added to finish the edges...black dots all the way around...and, random stamped images were applied on both pages. For the details on the faces, I used colored pencils and "blush"...the real stuff to add color to the faces and arms on the photo-copies...a trick I learned when painting ceramics...soft and easy to control because it is a dry application...you could also use "chalks"...cause I know you all have bought them and never used them!
I "lifted" the edge detail from this Stampington "Memories" publication...also like the white background...and they used photo copies of their children and actually used a "white wash" effect for their "paint-over" application. Charcoal pencil was smudged on all the edges...ladies and text and spray glitter was added to the wedding dress.
Here's a bad photo...sorry it's late...I've got two minutes till midnight to post this...lol...of the two pages with the "text" journaling applied. AND I still have to go back and spell check...
Left side, close-up of finished page...the quote inside the stamped "dress forms" and the text journaling...again I "lifted"...aka was inspired by a journal book that I've had for some time...you can see it in the first photo...it's under my glass desk top...
Right side of completed journal page...the photos are coming out very yellow...more so than in person...I'm sure it's because it's late and the flash is making it so...and I'm too tired to mess with it...REMEMBER...BETTER DONE THAN PERFECT.
Today I took "action" and went back through all those stacks of magazines with the strips of papers sticking out and tried a few of the techniques that I've wanted to for so long...I am very satisfied...and hope this has been helpful to the rest of the "21ers". Have a great evening, Roberta